Monday, January 31, 2011

Flying into the Great Storm!

So my Mom was really worried that I was heading to the Midwest during the BIGGEST Storm of the year. But when I look at Minnesota weather, it doesn't look any worse then it was a few weeks back - really cold. After all, isn't that how Minnesota rolls - really cold in the winter. I noticed a commercial lately that they are testing Acura vehicles in MN because of the harsh winters. They say if your winter is colder, then you need to move.

I ended up getting a little warmer clothing to wear back there this week. Remember a few weeks ago when my friend Scott chuckled at the coat I was wearing to South Dakota? Well, hint taken. I now have a base-layer, a mid-layer, and a down outer layer. Also picked up some glove liners for under my heavy gloves, a neck gaiter, a Green Bay colored handmade beanie cap with ears, and all the other warm stuff you can think of.

Hoping the weather will not be too brutal. I am 90% over the pneumonia, I think. I will be driving the roads of MN while there, maybe 300-400 miles, so I will have to get some pictures to share of what the roads look like, if you can see them.

Back to airports - I am flying out of SMF today because it was hundreds of dollars cheaper to drive 2 hours to a larger airport, this time. Normally I can get pretty good rates out of RDD, but this time it wasn't so. I also get to take advantage of First Class today, thanks to a frequent traveler friend - read a few posts back. Scott had a left over upgrade he decided to give to me since it expired in January. Thanks Scott!!! So SMF to DEN to MSP today. Foggy at SMF, but only a 15 minute delay. Snowing in DEN and probably snowing in MSP by the time I get there tonight.

Looking forward to meeting with clients the next several days. Next week I will be back to FSD, but my flight just happens to take me via SAN, why? I have no idea, but I'll take it since it gets me an extra leg toward my 1k status.

Let's hope the skies are friendly today!

Rob

1 comment: