Thursday, January 20, 2011

cold just got colder...

Well greetings there weary travelers. Cold just got colder in South Dakota. I ended my trip there with pneumonia last Saturday morning after 5 days of succumbing to the cold. I arrived in South Dakota ready to conquer the cold, instead it took control of my body.

I had a very good time with coworkers during my time there, but always just felt a little cold, never quite warm enough. I spent very little time in airports on my trip back - or at least what I remember. I took some Nyquil at FSD, and slept takeoff to touchdown to DEN. I had a small bowl of soup in DEN, then slept from there to SFO. SFO to RDD was more of the same - sleep. And since I have been home - sleep.

So I met with the Doc Monday morning, had a fever of 102, my resting heart rate was 93, and half of my right lung was full. Bad news. Well, back to the Doc on Thursday, temperature normal, RHR back to around 53 and my lungs still have a bunch of junk in them. So I guess it takes a while to get rid of the fluid in the lungs. Doc says I can't really do much exercise for probably a month or so. Not easy to hear that being an endurance athlete. All the muscle memory I have will be gone in a month, I suppose I will just have to start over.

My next trip will take me back to the great frozen tundra of Northern Minnesota. I just hope within a few weeks I will be healthy enough that the cold won't get to me this time. I will definitely be dressing more warmly this go round. I hope to have better news about my travels the next time we talk. Until then, see you in the air...

No comments:

Post a Comment