Saturday, January 1, 2011

airport downtime

Well - Greetings and Happy New Year 2011!

It has been a while since my last message to you - my loyal followers, that is because I have been grounded for the last few weeks. While working from home, I have also had the chance to enjoy a little bit of home life, and be here for Mrs. Smith's surgery on 12/27. She is doing very well - but it is a long recovery process to regrow those muscles.

While home, I was able to make a fun trip snowshoeing with my son.


We actually snowshoed for the first time, together, in a blizzard. What a rush, and fairly easy to do.

We had a great Christmas, fairly low-key, but fun times with family. As a family - we got a canoe - up cycled from a friends neighbor's backyard that I spied in a back yard while their fence was being rebuilt. Can't wait to see if it is seaworthy? or should I say lake worthy?


Little bit of snow on New Year's Day covering the boat on the back patio.
I really don't plan on taking it in the sea - or even any large rivers. We spent more on the PFDs then on the canoe itself. It is a pre-1977 Michi-craft aluminum 4-person 15'x3' canoe. I looked it up on the Internet, and this company is still in business, and their canoes have a lifetime warranty on their boats. I hope we get to make allot of memories in the canoe this year. The name is Uncle Milty's, but I suggested the kids rename it. Austin then informed me that it is "bad luck" to rename a boat. After the Titanic sank, all of the other boats in that fleet changed their names, and they all sank within a few years. I guess there is some superstition around all that. So maybe it will be Uncle Milty's forever - we shall see.

My next post will most likely be the week of Jan 11th - since I am bound for South Dakota for a Sales Meeting and Company Party. I expect it will be cold - so I am growing a beard. Maybe I should bring the snowshoes? I would really like to learn how to dogsled while I am up there, we shall see.

I wanted to let you know that I didn't give up on blogging, just didn't have any travel stories to share with you. Until my next airport stop...   Mr. Smith signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment