Saturday, August 13, 2011

Colorado Rocky Mountain High

Another quick trip to DEN to visit a few colleges that I wasn't able to see on my previous trip. There is a new display at SFO - Television history. You should see some of the old sets they have. I only had one delay on my way home - oh yeah, and a delay on the way out because of an air conditioning unit. I guess that could be a problem opening the windows at 33000 feet.

So, let me tell you a little about my trip and share some photos of the Rockies. On Tuesday afternoon, I didn't get any appointments after trying for a few weeks to go West in CO. So I had a chance to drive up to a piece of land (patented land) that has been in my family since 1889. My Great Grandfather Joseph Smith moved to Leadville in 1889, and grabbed some land as part of a government giveaway. So I decided to hike up to the land and check it out. It resides at 11500 feet - right at the treeline.


Looks like a perfect place for a house, right? If only it always looked like this. The only problem with building here, it's under snow 9 months out of the year. Here are some additional pictures of the surrounding area from 500 feet up the mountain.







On this last picture, you can see a heard of Elk running across in front of the trees. I saw two separate herds of Elk while I was up on the mountain. The location is just southeast of Jacque Peak.

On Wednesday afternoon, when my appointments were over and before my flight was scheduled to leave, I was able to drive up Mt Evans (by road). Later to find out my Grandfather George Smith worked on the Mt Evans Highway during the Great Depression. Thanks Grampa - it made climbing my first Fourteener fairly easy - a 20 mile drive and a hike of about 200 yards to the peak - 14,265 feet.




It was about 50 degrees up there - 90 in Denver - and about 30 mph winds. Mrs. Chambers of ChambersMade (http://chambersmade.blogspot.com/) thought I was doing a sprinkler dance move, but really I was holding on to my hat for fear of losing it off the cliff behind me.

I really like Colorado - of all the places I have been. I can really get into climbing these amazing mountains - sun or snow. Next flight is a family trip to Maine - looking forward to that one with the Misses and the kiddos.

Until next time - keep on time with your flights.

1 comment:

  1. beautiful country! and I still say your watering the Mt!...

    ReplyDelete