Saturday, December 11, 2010

traveling blogger

So I decided to start a blog about my travels around the world. I don't actually have a passport, so for now most of my travels will be isolated to the United States. I am also typing this on a Blackberry, which makes it fairly mobile, but it may cause a few spelling issues here and there - although I am not a great speller to begin with. We are starting out in SFO at Gate 87A, where I wait for a flight for San Diego. The gate that my SAN flight will leave from is 90, but 87A is right here and it sounded better then 90 for the Blog name. 87A is also the "old" commuter gate in Terminal 3 where I used to travel through to get to and from SMF and RDD over the past 15 years using United.

I seem to spend a lot of time in SFO, typically because of weather delays, or missed and cancelled flights because of weather delays at other airports, so pretty much weather is the leading cause of my time spent hear. I already walked the whole terminal today, need to get a pedometer so I can tell you the distance. The Internatinal Terminal is quite nice, polished travertine floors, and multi-level gates for the larger jets that fly out of here. I did notice that travelers can buy Ghirardelli chocolates here for a mere $14.99 a bag, same bag can be purchased on the "outs" for $5 at WalMart. Capitalism at its best. I just walked by one of the stores to check the spelling on Ghirardelli - we're good.

I hope to break free of SFO in another 1.5 hours to get down to the sun and sand of SAN. I will use airport codes throughout my blog so you can feel a little more like a traveler too. We all talk in code you know. In the past few months I have been through the following airports: RDD, SFO, DEN, MSP, SNA, FAT, ORD, FSD, IAH just in the last few months. I am now a "Premier Executive" after 25 segments in a few months, airline people just started calling me Mr. Smith again. I'm not a 1K flyer yet, but I get a lot of perks. Like I didn't have to pay to check my bag today, of all days I could have used some of that stuff during my 4.5 hour layover today - like a power cord. Oh well, my bag is making its own journey now in the underbelly of SFO. Wish there was a Starbucks here, just Peet's, good but they don't have a loyalty card.

I hope you have enjoyed this as much as I have. Talking about coffee has made me thirsty and I am sitting right by Peet's at Gate 87A.

4 comments:

  1. Well hello Mr.Smith! HOME will be waiting for you-where you are always a premier executive here! Love ya!
    Mrs. Smith

    Why Yes, I think I will be your first follower!

    ReplyDelete
  2. And I will be your second follower, love the stories!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you are making lemonade with the lemons of downtime at the airports! Will be interested in your travels..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Mr Smith. You are as witty as your wife Mrs Smith. I enjoy following her blurbs on her blog and facebook. Keep the good airport commentary coming.
    tammy

    ReplyDelete